Accomplishments FY 2011-2012
- Planned and held a Community Emergency Management Stakeholder Summit, which included over eighty-five leaders from the business, government, non-profit, faith/community based, volunteer organizations, medical and school communities.
- Rejuvenated the AM Radio Station 1500 on the AM dial posting new emergency and traffic information and maintaining current information. Updated software program to receive better City-wide coverage.
- In conjunction with the Police Department, continued to provide support and insight on the Neighborhood Watch Zone Program.
- Attended multiple Neighborhood Watch events including holding a very successful first National Night Out. Encouraged the event to continue for a second year. This law enforcement event is held nationwide every August 7.
- Provided input and support on the reinstatement of the City’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) training and program.
- Two Commissioners became certified, with other community volunteers, in becoming a trainer for future CERT classes.
- Developed multiple Health and Safety Messages of the Month that were provided to the community using various methods.
- Studied and provided suggestions on the way the City provides emergency and disaster related information to the Community including the use of emergency sirens.
- Represented the Health and Safety Commission message at a variety of City events and speaking engagements.
- Provided input and supported the recommendation to the City Council that the City join the Healthy Eating, Active Living City Initiative.
- Various Commissioners participated in the following events: Police Departments DUI checkpoint, 405 closures, LA Marathon, Every 15 Minutes Steering Committee, Baker to Vegas Run, became CERT and First Observer Trainers.
- Heard and provided input on the Wood Roof Replacement Ordinance Outreach plan.
- Recommended to City Council liaisons to maintain Commission as a seven member Commission.
- Provided input and updates on the City’s new website.
- Heard from the Fine Art Commission on the Fine Art fund.
- Provided guidance to a project which outreaches to businesses to provide services and goods in times of disasters.
- Provided suggestions on ways to improve Earth Day and suggested additional vendors/booths to participate.
- Heard public comment on the dangers of using fabric softeners, the issues that still exist with dialing 911 with cell phones, toxic dumping, BH CPR, support of re-instating the CERT program and disaster preparedness tips and a kit.
- Heard presentations and provided input on a variety of Public Works related topics such as the City’s Water Quality report, emergency roll off bins, 2011 CCR, backflow and cross connection hazards and information on pharmaceuticals in the water supply.
- Heard presentation and suggested outreach on a trench cave-in accident.
- Heard a presentation provided by Public Works on toxic waste dumping. Provided suggestions, recommendations and heard comments from the community on this issue.
- Heard update and provided input on implementation of tobacco ordinance.
- Participated in a variety of Community events such as Fire Service Day, Farmers Market, Woofstock, Police Pancake Breakfast, and Earth Day.
- Heard a presentation and provided input on the City’s social media program.
- Decided to modify the Health and Safety awards to be given out as warranted.
- Participated in the Shakeout Drill.
- Served as a member of the BHUSD FAC.
- Heard a report from High School Principal on the effectiveness of a previously recommended leadership program.
- Received a presentation by the City Attorney on the Brown Act, Form 170 and other related Commission matters.
- Provided subject matter suggestions on a new Cable program that will highlight Health, Safety and Preparedness information.
- Heard information on selling alcohol to minors Police Department Sting Operation.