FAQ - Can I make a copy of building or architectural plans on file with the City?
Answer: No copies can be made without written permission from both the property owner and the licensed professional who signed the plans. (Health and Safety Code 19851). If the building is part of a common interest development (i.e. condominium), the written permission of the board of directors or governing body of the association established to manage the common interest development is required. In addition, the requestor must complete the Building Plan Duplication Affidavit form.

The Community Development Department will contact the professional(s) of records by certified mail. If after 30 days the professional does not respond or the certified mail is returned undeliverable, the City may allow the plans to be duplicated without the professional's approval if the other requirements are satisfied.

It is recommended the requestor contact the Community Development Department records section to verify plans are on file and/or to review the plans before ordering. Please dial (310) 285-1141, and select Option 8.